Saturday, June 27, 2015

Manners maketh man

I didn't get out to see Kingsmen: The Secret Service when it was in theaters, but that's totally okay. I watched it at my family's house this week and, while I enjoyed it immensely, I didn't feel like I had missed much by not seeing it on a massive screen in a room full of strangers eating food that I'm allergic to.

It's a very silly movie. It's a cartoon, really, more than an action film, but it was just a tremendous amount of fun to watch. I liked watching Colin Firth kick ass, I liked watching Samuel L. Jackson be ridiculous, I liked all the spy genre in-jokes, and just generally had a fantastic time for the two hours the movie was playing.

It's not a great movie, it's not high art or anything, but it's very, very entertaining. I got a little sick of the over-the-top CGI and the bullet-time wire-rigged fight scenes in the final act of the film, but only because Colin Firth's bullet-time wire-rigged fight scene was so much better than all the others and it felt redundant to have any after that.

I can't even express to you how silly this movie is. It has brightly-colored, highly-choreographed head explosions. It has a massive fight scene set in an extremist evangelical church. It has puppies. Everything in the movie is fun and silly and great to watch. I'm not saying you should spend a bunch of money and get the DVD - I'm guessing that its charm suffers if you spend too much time on it - but if it pops up on Netflix it's totally worth the time to watch this silly, silly thing.

Cheers,
     - Alli

No comments:

Post a Comment